Thursday 13 August 2009

Minor screw up on my part

Yesterday I mentioned how some things push Grace's buttons. Well I pushed them today.

We have been working on getting her comfy with people doing things in her stable. But largely stuff that doesn't involve her; like filling her water buckets, skipping out etc and she has been fine. We have also worked on 'targetting', grooming, playing with her ears and lips and picking her front feet out. Although it took time, so far so good.

But I pushed her too far today and she let me know. Whipped round and lifted a hind leg. I really thought she was going to let fly - I couldn't help myself I yelled 'nooooooooooo' and how surprised was I when she stopped. She put her leg down, stayed 'guarded' but removed the threat.

So I invited her to the front of the stable put her head collar on and worked on the sensitive bit out in the open yard. She was much better, but I was careful not to push it. Having moved on a bit I then repeated the exercise in the stable and although she was rather alarmed we did manage to do it with out her feeling the need to get defensive. So we have a lot of work to do to make Grace feel the stable is a safe place for her.

We did finish the session a bit further on than we started, so although the threat was not nice, it was understandable and we both learnt a lot. I just wish I had eyes in the back of my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment